So I have been house sitting my parents house this past week, and I got a little over zealous with the amount of food I would be eating at home. I was planning on eating all three meals there most days – but of course that didn’t end up happening. I also tried to go grocery shopping for one which failed miserably – they don’t sell just two sausages and a handful of spinach. What I ended up with was two boxes of arugula, 6 sausages, a loaf of olive bread, a block of cheese, and 8 bananas.
Now its the end of the week I have 3 sausages, 1 1/2 boxes of arugula, most of the loaf of olive bread and a good 5/6th’s of the block of cheese. What to do, what to do … GRILLED CHEESE. So here is how this went down. I needed to use a lot of the arugula all at once – arugula pesto = arugula done. In order to use more bread and cheese I made open faced grilled cheeses with a thick bread cut. If you toast the bread before it makes it beautifully crispy, and rather light. Lastly I was only able to use 2 sausages, as it was hard to cram more in me with everything else that was going on.
All together that left with me a 1/4 loaf of olive bread and sausage – not bad, not bad at all.
Arugula Pesto with Chicken Sausage Grilled Cheese Recipe:
Arugula Pesto Recipe (Adopted from Set The Table)
– 4 cloves of garlic (that was a lot but I like it that way, if you don’t like a lot of garlic go for 2 or 3)
– 1/3 cup toasted Pine nuts
– 2/3 cup grated parmesan
– 2/3 cup oil
– Salt, pepper, and a little bit of hot sauce.
Add all of the ingredients before oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until chopped. Slowly pour the oil in as the machine is on, and cream the mixture. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce, pulse once or twice until incorporated and WALLA arugula pesto.
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Cook sausages however instructed – and then cut into thin slices
2. Cut about 3/4in slices of bread (I used olive bread) and toast in the toaster or toaster oven until nice and golden and lightly butter it.
4. Spread the arugula pesto on nice and thick over the bread – getting it in all the nooks and crannies
5. Place sausage slices on top of the pesto and lay then around the bread to your liking.
6. Place cheese slices on top of the chicken – in order to make sure it doesn’t fall off.
7. Place your ungrilled cheese onto a tin foiled baking sheet and place in oven.