First of all I think I am going to make an acronym for Fast, Easy, Simple Baking (F.S.E.B.) and then I can tag it in my Fast, Easy, Simple Baking entries so everyone can find them easily! This happens to be on of my F.E.S.B’s!
I happen to have always loved Key Lime Pie, as much as a salt lover could. But as a salt lover, I don’t like large portions of sugar, so I wanted mini key lime pies. Just a few bites to satisfy the craving. I did a large amount of food gawking, google searching, and just general research to find out what it is that makes key lime amazing.
I first decided that I wanted a graham cracker crust, that was a must. Now it was on to the inside … sweetened condensed milk, limes key lime greek yogurt, and egg yolks seemed to be the basics.
I have made these twice now – the first time I used cinnamon graham cracker crust, and did not add sugar to the crust. I used key limes, and greek yogurt. The second time I did not have all of these ingredients so I used honey graham crackers, normal limes, and kefir yogurt.
To be honest they were both amazing! Slightly different, obviously. The cinnamon graham crackers were an excellent compliment to the lime inside, and it made a sweeter crust. The key limes also made for a sweeter, less tart inside, compared to the normal limes. But I have to say I may prefer the normal limes. Lastly I think that the kefir made for a lighter inside, which i preferred a lot!
So, if I had to make my ideal recipe it would be this:
Mini Key Lime Pies:
– 2 12 cupcake baking sheet
– Cupcake liners
– Two packs honey graham crackers (18 pieces)
– 3 Tbsp Sugar
– 3/4 cup melted Butter
– 2 cans Sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
– 2/3 cup Lime juice
– 1/3 cup Kefir Yogurt
– 3 egg yolks
2. Line your cupcake sheet with the liners.
3. In a bag crush together the graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter together. I used my hands and a rolling-pin to crush it.
4. Put about 2 tbsp in the bottom of each cupcake pot and press down to compact the bottom.
5. Put in oven for 10 minutes
6. While they are whisk mix together the rest of the ingredients
7. Remove cupcake sheets and let cool for a few minutes.
8. Fill most of the way with filling (it won’t expand but you don’t want it over flowing)
9. Bake for 15 minutes
10. Cool and serve! Yummmm